- Irymple : "Irymple", now part of Yathong National Park, was owned by Boy (Ike) and Dorothy Shields. ... read story
- Drilling: Tin Mine next to Dover Castle currently being exp drilled (2014/5) read story
- Brief History: Worked since 19th century. Was the main mine in area since 1920's. Tin mainly though silver/lead present. ... read story
- Drilling: Part of current drilling program(2014/5) read story
- Brief History: Mined 1891 to 1920's.Was known for richness of ore. Currently undergoing extensive exp drilling(2014/5) program. read story
- Brief History: Disc 1890 by Halpin Bros. Was named after American rich silver mine. Very high grade silver ores were ... read story
- (Lake) Popiltah Rest Area: Free camping area with Public toilets and B-B-Q/ pinic area Nearest place Coombah Roadhouse, omly retail store and fuel ... read story
- The Beatles visit Eagle Heights: On June 30th, 1964, two members of "The Beatles", Paul McCartney and George Harrison, ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
contributed by MarieneeShields
(contact MarieneeShields about this story)
"Irymple", now part of Yathong National Park, was owned by Boy (Ike) and Dorothy Shields.
The homestead was built in 1953 by Griffith carpenter, John Miller. It is built from White Cyprus Pine timber, entirely logged and milled on "Irymple"
The saw mill was built and operated by (Ike) Boy and his workman. Powered by a steam engine.
Selected boards were sent to a mill to be dresses as weather boards for cladding and tongued and grooved for flooring.
The steam engine was towed from "Yathong" where it had previously been used to power the shearing shed.
This steam engine is now on loan from the Shields family to the Hillston Museum.
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Homestead 'Irymple'.
- add a story about Irymple: click here to add a story about Irymple
- info about Irymple: click here for the Bonzle entry on Irymple (open in new window)
- map of Irymple: click here for the Bonzle map of Irymple (open in new window)
- pictures of Irymple: click here for pictures of Irymple (open in new window)