- Packaging Plants for a Relocation: For anyone who is a plant fan and have absolutely a lovely lawn along with you, you would generally ... read story
- Wolfram mines at Burrandana: As kids in the 1950s, my four brothers and I would occasionally explore the hills behind the Burrandana Hall ... read story
- St Helena Penal Colony: St Helena was a penal colony for many years at the end of the 19th century to early 20th century.... read story
- Escarpment Retreat & Day Spa - Tamborine Mountain: Where Heaven meets Earth The Escarpment Retreat & Day Spa on Mt Tamborine is an award-winning rainforest sanctuary set on ... read story
- Brendon Sneddon Plumbing and Gasfitting - Your Local Croydon Plumbers: Looking for a plumber or emergency plumbing services near the Croydon areas? Brendon Sneddon Plumbing and Gasfitting is the name ... read story
- OWNER: I think this was worked by old Sam Elliot,a peninsula icon and ledgend.Sam prospected travelling with his beloved ... read story
- The Syndicate Track: 100 years or so ago there was a railway to take timber down the escarpment and so onto Bellingen. ... read story
- Fish On Charters - Fishing Charters Victoria: Looking for Portland fishing charters to chase the tuna or sharks? Melbourne fishing charters for the snapper or squid? ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
Living water. (20 April 2012)
contributed by JoeFurulyas
(contact JoeFurulyas about this story)
Weeli Wolli Creek is substantially important in the traditional land owners history.
The Nyiyaparli and the Martu Idja Banyjima people believe that the spirit of the Yurduba ( rainbow Serpent ) is in this water.
Yurduba travelled from the Kimberley and now lives in the surrounding hills, he is the guardian of all permanent waterholes, watches all people who come here and we have an obligation to respect him.
Sadly the mining industry is changing the true nature that is the Weeli Wolli Spring ~ Creek system.
Rio Tinto is dewatering the underground water table below their Hope Downs operation, the water is being pumped back into Weeli Wolli creek to a point below the natural spring(s) that since creation times has been feeding the creek.
The artificial inflow of water at first glance looks rather beautiful, but the end result at some point in the future, is that the natural spring(s) may dry up and only the artificial water flow controlled by the miners will feed the stream.
The near by sink hole is believed to be the lair of "Yurduba" this belief is still quite strong amongst the traditional owners of the land.
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the River or Creek 'Weeli Wolli Creek'.
- add a story about Weeli Wolli Creek: click here to add a story about Weeli Wolli Creek
- info about Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for the Bonzle entry on Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)
- map of Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for the Bonzle map of Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)
- pictures of Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for pictures of Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)