- MinMin: The existence on min-min lights has been well known by "westerners" and for many years the cause of ... read story
- Birds of New South Wales - #4 - Murray River Region: We have just returned from Howlong Golf Resort where we planned a couple of days of golf and an overdue ... read story
- Our Home: For a couple of years our home breed cattle (Hereford) built saw mill cutting cypress pine and hard wood grew ... read story
- Recived stock from Chatsworth Station Qld: 1958 moved 1200 cows in calf (Zebu) from Chatsworth Station Boulia to Kynuna then onto Millungera Station via Julia ... read story
- Stock on the move: 1958 moved 1200 cows in calf (Zebu) to Kynuna then onto Millungera Station via Julia Creek Qld see book "... read story
- Paid for seven jobs: Mr. Lloyd hire me to do seven jobs in a week that went for a month or more 1 ... read story
- Closer to Town of Blackall: 1968 wife took ill at Blair Gowrie doctor wanted her closer to Blackall Sumnervale was own by the Howe family ... read story
- Just 17: 1957 found my self in Kynuna got a job working for John Markwell his parents own a sheep station called ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
Living water. (20 April 2012)
contributed by JoeFurulyas
(contact JoeFurulyas about this story)
Weeli Wolli Creek is substantially important in the traditional land owners history.
The Nyiyaparli and the Martu Idja Banyjima people believe that the spirit of the Yurduba ( rainbow Serpent ) is in this water.
Yurduba travelled from the Kimberley and now lives in the surrounding hills, he is the guardian of all permanent waterholes, watches all people who come here and we have an obligation to respect him.
Sadly the mining industry is changing the true nature that is the Weeli Wolli Spring ~ Creek system.
Rio Tinto is dewatering the underground water table below their Hope Downs operation, the water is being pumped back into Weeli Wolli creek to a point below the natural spring(s) that since creation times has been feeding the creek.
The artificial inflow of water at first glance looks rather beautiful, but the end result at some point in the future, is that the natural spring(s) may dry up and only the artificial water flow controlled by the miners will feed the stream.
The near by sink hole is believed to be the lair of "Yurduba" this belief is still quite strong amongst the traditional owners of the land.
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the River or Creek 'Weeli Wolli Creek'.
- add a story about Weeli Wolli Creek: click here to add a story about Weeli Wolli Creek
- info about Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for the Bonzle entry on Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)
- map of Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for the Bonzle map of Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)
- pictures of Weeli Wolli Creek: click here for pictures of Weeli Wolli Creek (open in new window)