Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
Stories currently narrowed to those about Airports.
Click here to show stories about all places
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
contributed by Jacklee
(contact Jacklee about this story)
In 1942 my father Len Lee senior groundsman at the Bairnsdale Aerodrome drove a tractor towing a very large heavy trailer (full of tools and equipment needed ) hitched up behind the trailer was a grader,a lot of weight behind the tractor to the Mallacoota Aerodrome to do maintenance on the Aerodrome,Stationed there were 3 Airmen Alec the Cook,Fred Townsend from Tasmania and Snowy Copas from Newcastle NSW,Dad completed the work some weeks latter then continued on to the Moruya Aerodrome for more maintenance work,on this journey the brakes became overheated on the tractor he had to use first gear and the hand brake to slow the load down,now remember the Princes Highway was a gravel surface for most of the way adding to the problem,I understand his nerves were bit shattered when he arrived at the Moruya Aerodrome,I doubt if anyone would undertake such a journey today my Dad was a tough hard worker all his life.
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Airport 'Bairnsdale Aerodrome'.
- add a story about Bairnsdale Aerodrome: click here to add a story about Bairnsdale Aerodrome
- info about Bairnsdale Aerodrome: click here for the Bonzle entry on Bairnsdale Aerodrome (open in new window)
- map of Bairnsdale Aerodrome: click here for the Bonzle map of Bairnsdale Aerodrome (open in new window)
- pictures of Bairnsdale Aerodrome: click here for pictures of Bairnsdale Aerodrome (open in new window)