- Sangster's Bore History: Sangster's Bore was originally called Sangster's Well. It was sunk sometime between 1959 and 1961 by 3 men. ... read story
- Yudnamutana: The track to the Yudnamutana mining area skirts the North West boundary of the Arkaroola Sanctuary. Here the mountains ... read story
- Nuccaleena Spring and Copper Mine.: Copper was discovered in Nuccaleena in the mid 1850s, and by 1860 mining had commenced with 100 tons of ... read story
- Butterfly Spring: Butterfly Spring is a welcoming and well established Rest Area and camp ground half way between Boroloola (182 Kms) and ... read story
- Tietkens Well: Tietken attempted to settle at Maralinga unsuccessfully in the 1870s . There are also remains of a homestead he ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
Stories currently narrowed to those about Bores.
Click here to show stories about all places
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
Sangster's Bore History (23 February 2017)
contributed by FredCB
(contact FredCB about this story)
Sangster's Bore was originally called Sangster's Well. It was sunk sometime between 1959 and 1961 by 3 men. Two were cattlemen who held a grazing license at Rabbit Flat. One was named Robert Elliott (Rob), name of the other cannot be recalled. The 3rd man was Robert Meyer (Bob) a Dutchman, who was general Station-hand, working for Rob Elliott.
Sangster's Well was part of a project to enable cattle to be moved from the Billiluna Station, situated in the South East Kimberleys to Milton Park and Central Mount Wedge Cattle Stations. It was the second of two wells that had to be sunk. The first being called Refrigerator well (because there was an old Refrigerator thrown out along the Tanami Road nearby). It would appear that this name has since been changed to Chilla Well.
The project was initiated by the Cattle Station owners; William Waudby (Bill) and Milton from Milton Park. His full name cannot be recalled.
The initiators of the Project, gave the honour of naming the well to Bob Meyer, because he was considered to be the worker with the most driving force. Consequently, Bob elected to name it Sangster's Well, because that happened to be his 'flame'; at the time, whose full name was Margaret Sangster.
An important consideration in deciding the location of the two wells, was that they had to be to the South of the Pleuro Cattle Line. Up until this time the cattle had always been sent South via the Cannings Stock Route to the Wiluna Rail Head in Western Australia.
(This information was obtained during a talk with Bob Meyer who is now 78, and resides in a retirement home in Melbourne)
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Bore 'Sangsters Bore'.