- Macchi Memories: The Macchi jet trainer image in my series of pics taken in WA's Aviation Heritage Museum brings to mind a ... read story
- Escarpment Retreat & Day Spa - Tamborine Mountain: Where Heaven meets Earth The Escarpment Retreat & Day Spa on Mt Tamborine is an award-winning rainforest sanctuary set on ... read story
- Brendon Sneddon Plumbing and Gasfitting - Your Local Croydon Plumbers: Looking for a plumber or emergency plumbing services near the Croydon areas? Brendon Sneddon Plumbing and Gasfitting is the name ... read story
- Fish On Charters - Fishing Charters Victoria: Looking for Portland fishing charters to chase the tuna or sharks? Melbourne fishing charters for the snapper or squid? ... read story
- FOND MEMORIES OF COTTON TREE By GARY RATCLIFFE: COTTON TREE HOW IT WAS 29 YEARS AGO In the 1960’s and 1970’s most vehicle traffic used ... read story
- giralang shops: Today, 29 November 2013, the the act court of appeals threw out the case against stopping the development ... read story
- Benjamin William Smith-"My Life, then Our Lives”: Benjamin William Smith-"My Life, then Our Lives” The following is pages of memories written down by Benjamin William Smith ... read story
- Wickliffe Featured In Musical: In 2012, students from St Peter's Primary School in East Bentleigh, a suburb of Melbourne, toured to ... read story
Narrow the stories:
- click on a year
Stories currently narrowed to those about Suburbs/Regional Areas.
Click here to show stories about all places
- click on a type of place
- City, Town or Village
- Forestry Reserve
- Lake or Dam
- Mountain or Hill
- Nature Conservation Reserve
- State or Territory
- River or Creek
- Reef or Fishing Spot
- Fish Attracting Device
- Suburb/Regional Area
- Weather Station
Macchi Memories (6 October 2015)
contributed by JockSwa
(contact JockSwa about this story)
The Macchi jet trainer image in my series of pics taken in WA's Aviation Heritage Museum brings to mind a couple of experiences I've had while fishing close offshore in waters near Mandurah and in Warnbro Sound, south of Perth.
RAAF jets and now Pilatus turbo prop trainers did and do regularly fly low over the sea in the vicinity. They don't seem hog-tied by the same rules that non-service pilots are, although they always fly at altitude over land near the towns and cities within range of their base at Pearce/Bullsbrook, north of the Big Smoke.
I was fishing with a mate out of Mandurah some years ago, when I happened to look astern and realized a Macchi jet was coming at us at very low level. Whether the flier was using us as a practice target point or just set out to give us a shock I'll never know. I couldn't hear the jet clearly, it was moving so fast, but some noise must have twigged my senses. I just had time to yell at my mate to block his ears when the Macchi screamed over and away. I shudder to think what the jet would have wreaked on our hearing if we hadn't done that. Fortunately, I love aircraft and didn't attempt to get the flier into trouble. There was a perverse enjoyment in it... for both the pilot and myself.
On another occasion in Warnbro Sound, a Pilatus pilot did dive on my small boat - and me - as a floating target point and levelled out at around 30 mtrs or so altitude. I could clearly see the pilot looking at me as he peeled off a little and roared past, gave him a wave and got a wing-waggle in answer. I do love having these guys do their thing in the name of our nation's defense, but I'm glad it's turbo Pilatus aircraft and not screaming jets these days! Having said that, 'other nations' are training with jets from Pearce regularly, so I suppose it could happen again.
My hearing's pretty good for an old boy. I'd like it to stay that way. I guess I'm over being buzzed by passing jets!
This story was uploaded into the Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia entry for the Suburb/Regional Area 'Bull Creek'.
- add a story about Bull Creek: click here to add a story about Bull Creek
- info about Bull Creek: click here for the Bonzle entry on Bull Creek (open in new window)
- map of Bull Creek: click here for the Bonzle map of Bull Creek (open in new window)
- pictures of Bull Creek: click here for pictures of Bull Creek (open in new window)