Some of the Gold related history of Adelong Creek.
1. Alluvial gold was first discovered in 1852, upstream from the present township of Adelong, through which the creek flows. The locality became a declared goldfield in 1855 and so started a "gold rush". Reef gold was then discovered in 1857 near Victoria Hill.
2. The first crushing battery was built near Adelong in about 1860. A more extensive crushing plant was built 2km downstream from Adelong in about 1870.
3. The wash from alluvial gold recovery and tailings from ore crushing were emptied back into the creek. Aditionally, water first used to power crushing machinery near Adelong was diverted via aquaducts and races to more crushing machinery 5km downstream.
4. Gold mining operations continued up until the early 1900s. At the start, mercury was used in the recovery process. Chlorination processes were then used from 1876 onwards and Cyanide based processes were added from 1900 until the end of operations.
5. By some estimates, as much as 60% of the gold that entered ore crushing and recovery plants escaped into Adelong Creek with relatively fine sands from the crushed ore. This sand, plus silt from sluicing operations, acccumulated further downstream and was dredged to recover its gold content at Grahamstown and Shepherdstown. Although other extractive processes ceased in the early 1900s, dredging continued until the 1960s.