Page 1 of 1 pages
(2 pictures)
Picture relating to Rip Van Winkle Mine - titled 'Rip Van Winkle Mine, Blackwood, Victoria.'
Picture relating to Fairymead Sugar Mill - titled 'Fairymead Sugar Mill'

Rip Van Winkle Mine, Blackwood, Victoria.

contributed by Historian, taken in 1896
(contact Historian about this picture | see 15 more pictures from Historian - open in new window)

The Rip Van Winkle tunnel entrance can be seen at the Blackwood Caravan Park. The Rip Van Winkle mine has a long history going back to Blackwoodís early gold-mining days and is first recorded in 1859 as the Early Bird mine and later the Great Extended mine which was situated on Johnstonís Reef halfway between the then townships of Blackwood and Golden Point, and now located at the foot of the hill south of the present Blackwood Caravan Park.
photo C. 1896. For more info see - 'Aspects of Early Blackwood' by Margot Hitchcock, Historian, Blackwood & District Historical Society.

This picture is part of the following Bonzle photo collections: