Page 1 of 109 pages
(1741 pictures)
Picture relating to Wonyip - titled 'Strzelecki Mist - Wonyip'
Picture relating to Comboyne - titled 'Comboyne'
Picture relating to Wondabyne - titled 'Wondabyne Station'
Picture relating to Witchcliffe - titled 'Witchcliffe'
Picture relating to Crossman - titled 'Crossman'
Picture relating to Walkerville - titled 'Walkerville Beach and Historic Lime Kilns'
Picture relating to Camballin Irrigation Area - titled 'Camballin Irrigation Area'
Picture relating to Amiens - titled 'Apple Packing Case Label'
Picture relating to Newport - titled 'Newport power station and Williamstown vehicle ferry'
Picture relating to Minnipa - titled 'Pildappa Rock nr. Minnipa S.A.'
Picture relating to Old Laura - titled 'Old Laura Homestead'
Picture relating to Spring Bluff - titled 'Spring Bluff'
Picture relating to Piccadilly Corner - titled 'Piccadilly Corner'
Picture relating to Ophthalmia Range - titled 'Ophthalmia Range ~Newman'
Picture relating to Derrinal - titled 'Derrinal'
Picture relating to Nangus - titled 'Nangus General Store'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

      Sort the featured pictures:

      Narrow the featured pictures:

      - click on a year

      Featured pictures currently narrowed to photos of Localities.
      Click here to show pictures for all places

      - click on a type of place

      Walkerville Beach and Historic Lime Kilns

      contributed by GraemeReid, taken in 2007
      (contact GraemeReid about this picture | see 2017 more pictures from GraemeReid - open in new window)

      Walkerville Beach and Historic Lime Kilns These are all that remain of the Walkerville lime kilns. At the peak of production in the 1890s, up to eighty men were employed quarrying limestone, working the kilns, supplying timber and bagging and stacking lime. Limestone mined from the cliffs was burnt with firewood in brick lined kilns to produce quick lime. The lime was then bagged and hauled in tram carts along a 350 metre jetty which once stretched out into the bay to waiting ships. The kilns were closed in 1926 due to reduced demand, high transport costs and the replacement of quicklime by cement. Info from