Page 1 of 1 pages
(3 pictures)
Picture relating to Adventure Bay - titled 'Adventure Bay'
Picture relating to Queenstown - titled 'Queenstown'
Picture relating to Rosebery - titled 'Rosebery'

Sort the collection:

Narrow the collection:

Collection currently narrowed to the year 1985.
Click here to show pictures for all years

- click on a year

Collection currently narrowed to pictures of Suburbs/Regional Areas.
Click here to show pictures for all places

- click on a type of place

Adventure Bay

contributed by DerrickJessop, taken in 1985
(contact DerrickJessop about this picture | see more pictures from DerrickJessop - open in new window)

Adventure Bay in Bruny Island has a European history dating back before settlement. It was first noted by Tasman on his voyage in 1642 but was named by Captain Tobias Furneaux after his ship 'The Adventure' in 1773. Captain Cook landed her in 1777 followed by Bligh and D'Entrecasteaux in 1792/3.
In the early years quarried stone and produce was shipped out from 40 jetties around the bay.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Ships (open in new window) photo collection.