Page 1 of 1 pages
(6 pictures)
Picture relating to Milton - titled 'Front view of Brisbane residence, 'Bishopsbourne', 1925'
Picture relating to Toowoomba - titled 'Baptist Church in Toowoomba, ca. 1925'
Picture relating to Milton - titled 'Corner of the lawn at Brisbane residence 'Bishopsbourne', 1925'
Picture relating to Milton - titled 'Looking up the driveway towards Brisbane residence, 'Bishopsbourne', 1925'
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'Sketch of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church under construction, Warwick, ca. 1925'
Picture relating to Milton - titled 'Side view of Brisbane residence, 'Bishopsbourne', 1925'

Front view of Brisbane residence, 'Bishopsbourne', 1925

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1925
(contact QldPics about this picture)

Front view of 'Bishopsbourne' (also known as Old Bishopsbourne) at Milton, Brisbane (inverted image). The photograph was taken in 1925, when it was the residence of Dr Sharp, Anglican Archbishop of Brisbane. The building has been home to many bishops and archbishops since it was built in 1868 for the first Bishop of the Diocese of Brisbane, Edward Wyndham Tufnell. 'The Bishop's new home, believed to have been designed by the prominent architect Benjamin Backhouse, was ready for occupation by 1868. It was a large, two storey residence of porphyry, with Helidon sandstone trim and a roof of slate. Both upper and lower storeys were surrounded by wide verandahs with Gothic arches, giving an illusion of cloisters' (Information taken from: J. Hogan, Historic homes of Brisbane : a selection, 1979).