Page 1 of 1 pages
(5 pictures)
Picture relating to Croydon - titled 'Some of the founders of the Gulf Mining Pastoral and Industrial Association, Croydon, 1906'
Picture relating to Croydon - titled 'Mine diggings at Croydon, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Canungra - titled 'Canungra Pine Creek Tramway, ca. 1906'
Picture relating to Marmor - titled 'Loaded train stationary beside the quarry at Marmor, about 1906'
Picture relating to Mount Morgan - titled 'Railway line linking the mining crushing station to the township of Mount Morgan, ca. 1906'

Some of the founders of the Gulf Mining Pastoral and Industrial Association, Croydon, 1906

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1906
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Croydon is located in the heart of the Gulf Savannah, in north west Queensland. When first settled in the 1880s Croydon was a large pastoral holding until gold was discovered in 1885. By 1887 the town's population had reached around 7,000 and during its heyday, Croydon was the fourth largest town in the colony of Queensland.

Front row from left: E. A. Edwards, Allan McGregor, W. O'Hare, J. Bickerton, W. F. Cornhill, F. W. Cuthbert.

Middle row from left: F. Curr, T. D. Kellaway, C. M. Curr (President), V. Creagh (Secretary), James Rogers, W. Blazen, E. A. Hayes, W. Real.

Back row from left: W. P. King, M. Clifford, J. Forsythe, L. C. Dunne, P. J. McDonald (Presiding Chairman), Thomas Quilty, Thomas Bennion, G. Martin, Warden F. Millican, J. T. Willcox. Photograph appeared in the North Queensland Register on 06 August 1906.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Farming (open in new window) photo collection.