Page 1 of 1 pages
(1 pictures)
Picture relating to Warwick - titled 'First St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Warwick, ca. 1865'

First St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Warwick, ca. 1865

contributed by QldPics, taken in 1865
(contact QldPics about this picture)


Erected in 1864 at the corner of Palmerin and Wood Streets, this church building still stands on the original site, adjacent to the new church which was opened in 1926. The first Catholic Mass in Warwick was served in 1854 at the Horse and Jockey Inn by Father McGinty, who arrived on horseback from Ipswich.

In 1862 Warwick became an indepepdent parish and the first resident priest was Dr. Cani, later the Bishop of Rockhampton, during whose pastorate the church was constructed. (Description supplied with photogaph)

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Horses (open in new window) photo collection.