Page 1 of 1 pages
(16 pictures)
Picture relating to Hawker - titled 'Replica telegraph poles from overland telegraph line'
Picture relating to Kingaroy - titled 'Kingaroy'
Picture relating to Kingaroy - titled 'Kingaroy'
Picture relating to Kingaroy - titled 'KIngaroy'
Picture relating to Thornborough - titled 'Thornborough'
Picture relating to Beeac - titled 'Beeac'
Picture relating to Tilba Tilba - titled 'Tilba Tilba countryside, green and lush perfect for the dairy cows'
Picture relating to Morven - titled 'Morven'
Picture relating to Dry Plain - titled 'Dry Plain'
Picture relating to Marong - titled 'Marong State Forest: Bullock Picnic Ground'
Picture relating to Avenel - titled 'Avenel'
Picture relating to Tannum Sands - titled 'Tannum Sands'
Picture relating to McGraths Hill - titled 'McGraths Hill NSW 1986'
Picture relating to Watson - titled 'Cattle grazing at a farm, off the Federal Highway, Watson.'
Picture relating to Kambah - titled 'Kambah'
Picture relating to Quirindi - titled 'Quirindi'

Sort the collection:

Narrow the collection:

- click on a year

Collection currently narrowed to pictures of Suburbs/Regional Areas.
Click here to show pictures for all places

- click on a type of place

Replica telegraph poles from overland telegraph line

contributed by GPecham, taken in July 2013
(contact GPecham about this picture | see more pictures from GPecham - open in new window)

These poles are a replica of the line of poles originally sourced from the Bunbinyunna Ranges and transported here by bullock teams. The 3200km Overland Telegraph Line from Port Augusta to Darwin began in 1870 and was completed in 1872, with 36,000 poles at a cost of 626,120 pounds. Eleven repeater stations were spaced along the line. New technology made the line redundant in the mid 1970's when it was replaced by microwave links.