Page 1 of 8 pages
(114 pictures)
Picture relating to Lake Mountain - titled 'Lake Mountain'
Picture relating to Dolls Point - titled 'Dolls Point'
Picture relating to Maroochydore - titled 'Cotton Tree'
Picture relating to Casuarina - titled 'Casuarina'
Picture relating to Herston - titled 'Herston'
Picture relating to Glendenning - titled 'Glendenning'
Picture relating to Moreton Island National Park - titled 'Moreton Island National Park'
Picture relating to Fitzroy - titled 'Fitzroy Amateur Cycling Club'
Picture relating to Hancocks Lookout - titled 'Hancocks Lookout'
Picture relating to Windsor - titled 'Windsor'
Picture relating to Brunswick East - titled 'Brunswick East-Lygon St, heading south early morning in autumn'
Picture relating to Banjo Paterson Way - titled 'Banjo Paterson Way'
Picture relating to Waratah - titled 'Waratah Museum'
Picture relating to Bull's Head Survival Shelter - titled 'Bull's Head Survival Shelter'
Picture relating to Lake Keepit - titled 'Bony bream'
Picture relating to Winton - titled 'Winton'

Browse by page:

- select a page

Sort the collection:

Narrow the collection:

- click on a year

- click on a type of place

Fire Ruins of the 9" Oddie Refractor - Mount Stromlo Observatory

contributed by Ausgirl, taken on 3 October 2010
(contact Ausgirl about this picture | see more pictures from Ausgirl - open in new window)

This telescope was the first on Mt Stromlo. Built by Grubb of Dublin in 1888 and installed on Mt Stromlo in 1911.
The first stellar research program of the observatory began in 1926, to photograph and classify the spectra of southern stars.
During the 1940s the Oddie was used to measure the orbits of binary stars, a vital step in determining the mass of stars in the binary system. The mass of a star determines its life cycle, so these measurements were very important to the emerging theories of stellar evolution.
The last resarch program took place in the early 1970s when one of the first image-tube cameras was used in a search for supernova remnants in the Milky Way.
The telescope was restored to almost original condition in the early 1990s however succumbed to the Canberra firestorm of 18 January 2003 leaving it damaged beyond repair.

This picture is also part of the Bonzle Fire and Bushfires (open in new window) photo collection.