Page 1 of 50 pages
(797 pictures)
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Waddamana - titled 'Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS'
Picture relating to Dawson - titled 'Dawson'
Picture relating to Norseman - titled 'Norseman'
Picture relating to Norseman - titled 'Norseman'
Picture relating to Horseshoe Vale Homestead - titled 'Horseshoe Vale Homestead'
Picture relating to Jugiong - titled 'Some friendly horses'
Picture relating to Carlindie - titled 'Carlindie Sation'
Picture relating to Allora - titled 'Allora'
Picture relating to Peake - titled 'Peake'
Picture relating to West Talgai - titled 'West Talgai Draughthorse'
Picture relating to Fraser Island - titled 'Brumbys (Wild Horses) of Fraser Island 1975'
Picture relating to Rocky Glen - titled 'Setting up the Wheat Hauling Team at Rocky Glen  1925'

Browse by page:

- select a page range

    Sort the collection:

    Narrow the collection:

    - click on a year

    - click on a type of place

    Waddamana Hydro Electric Power Station Museum TAS

    contributed by GraemeReid, taken on 4 February 2010
    (contact GraemeReid about this picture | see more pictures from GraemeReid - open in new window)

    A view of a Pelton wheel turbine and a generator. This is one of the later seven units, installed between 1918 and 1923 and is partly dismantled to show the workings. Pelton turbines are used when the water that turns them falls from a great height which was in this case, 1,123 feet. These 8,000 horsepower units operated at 375 revolutions per minute and produced 6,000 kilowatts.
    The Pelton wheel turbine runner that turned the generators, were made by Boving and Co. Limited London; while the alternating current generators were made by General Electric co. Schenectady, N.Y,. U.S.A.. Between 1912 and 1922, until a road was built, heavy equipment such as this, had to be delivered by means of a wooden tramway constructed through the dense forest country with teams of horses pulling the loads..

    This picture is also part of the Bonzle Waterfalls (open in new window) photo collection.